In 2014, the Australian cast arrived bringing with them the beautiful musical that is Wicked.
When I heard of news that the West End cast will arrive, I felt my heart jump. I just have to see it again.
This post is not a comparison between the two because they both have their own merits.
So, how was it? It was awesome. Wicked will always deliver no matter who performs.
The things I liked best about this performance are:
- Glinda seemed to be on a total Red Bull rush. This is a compliment. She was funny, engaging, true to the character she’s playing. She gave it a lot of justice.
- Elphaba’s voice, alongside her character, grew throughout the musical. There was a distinct difference between the singing before she met the wizard and after.
- DEFYING GRAVITY. I’M NOT THAT GIRL. FOR GOOD. NO GOOD DEED. AS LONG AS YOU’RE MINE. DANCING THROUGH LIFE. ONE SHORT DAY. Probably every song in the musical was a moment.
- Great costume design and stage manipulation.
- Fiyero’s very cool but powerful voice.
I loved every minute of it.
I was just a bit annoyed when the theatre staff let the late people go in in the middle of the performance instead of during the intermission. But, no big deal.
So, if you have a little bit of free time (around 3 hours for the show and 2 hours for travel to and from Solaire) on or before March 19, do watch the show! It is very recommended and satisfying to watch. Get your tickets here and go on a short trip to Emerald City.
I promise, it will be magical.