If you know me, I am a pizza person. I could live all of my life on pizza alone. So, when I heard of this place, it got me into thinking. I have always been eating pizza others have prepared for me – may it be Pizza Hut, Shakey’s, and the ever famous Yellow Cab pizza. But you know, I have my own favorite ingredients and I want them all in one pizza! The pizza that so nearly satisfies this hunger for singularity is the seven cheese pizza by Pizza Hut.
However, I have been itching to try this artisan pizza place that has come to the Philippines just recently. The nearest one was the recently opened branch in Eastwood but parking in that area will be a bother. So, we tried the Shaw Boulevard (inaugural) branch instead. The place is located just across S&R Membership Shopping past the Wack Wack Country Club area. The building has a white facade that just reminds you of an artist’s blank canvass that waits for the person to create his own masterpiece.
When we arrived, the place was almost full. There are normal chairs and tables. Then, there are the communal type of tables. Then, there are bay-type tables for those eating alone. Then, there are comfortable couches that will make you feel like you’re eating at home. We were actually worried that there won’t be any place to sit in and we’d have to order our pizzas to-go. But, as we finish ordering pizzas, some other customers finished eating and are on their way out. Thank you for not doing the unnecessarily long stay.
So, how do you make your own pizza?
- You can choose from pizzas that already have their own ingredients. There’s a 4-cheese pizza. There are 7 choices. However, despite the fact that they’re already pre-set you can ask the ‘chefs’ to include other ingredients you might want to add.
- If you’re going to make-do with the creating your own part, you have to decide if you want red sauce, white sauce or olive oil based pizza. As you’re deciding on this, you’d see your dough being pressed in the machine just beside the ‘chef’.
- After your sauce decision, you’d be asked for cheese: mozzarella, gorgonzola, feta, parmesan. What are the other cheeses? I know that there are 7 of them.
- After the cheese, you’d be asked for meat: bacon, Canadian bacon, shredded meatballs, prosciutto, anchovies, grilled chicken, etc.
- After meats, you’d be asked for veggies and spices: mushrooms, bell peppers, chili, onions, garlic, rosemary, cilantro, thyme, black olives, tomato, basil, pesto.
- While you’re ordering, these ‘chefs’ are shouting out your ingredients just so someone from the end of the line will write them down on your very own place mat with your name and ingredients on it. It’s very much like your coffee cup in Starbucks.
- When you finish, you pay for your pizza (PhP 285 for all pizzas except for the 4-cheese) and tell the cashier what you’ll have for drinks. I picked the Chinese Mist Iced Tea. Drinks are bottomless except for bottled ones.
As you finish creating / ordering your pizza, you’d have to wait for the counter to shout out your name, as written on your place mat. I thought that it would take a lot of time before they prepare my pizza. As it turns out, my name got called just after I finished paying for my meal. Real quick service you got there, Project Pie. Kudos!
Since this is a make your own pizza, I have created the perfect pizza for me. It includes mozzarella, parmesan, bacon, prosciutto, anchovies, rosemary, mushrooms and black olives. I love it salty as you can see from my meats. I loved it and they loved it too. I love the fact that you can eat it as soon as it’s out of the oven. That’s when the crust is crunchy and chewy at the same time. The pizza is about 8″ in diameter and one person can actually finish one on his own. The eating is as fun as the ordering bit because you’d wonder how the pizza you concocted will taste like. Mine tasted like heaven and I wish I could share it to you.
In one of my reviews, I have said that the iced tea is one of the best factors in my loving a restaurant. The Chinese Mist Iced Tea could rival the iced tea of known restaurants like Chocolate Kiss. It is a sweet brewed iced tea. You can still feel the natural taste in both the smell and the taste. Props to Project Pie for that. Maybe, they used it to counter the possible effects of all the ingredients one will put into his own pizza.
The experience is one of the highlights of my rough week. And to turn my mood around, the place is worth the try and going back to. I will ask my friends to visit the Eastwood branch one of these days. This is definitely one highly-recommended place! I encourage you to try making your own pizza. You’d be overwhelmed by the power that you have. Honestly, I was lost for words when the ‘chef’ asked what I wanted to put in it. There were so many choices!